March 9, 2011

68/365: Precursor handwriting skills












As an Occupational Therapist, you try your best not to analyze your own kids or your friends' kids, but the training is so ingrained and is related to everyday skills, that it is so hard not to find yourself noticing fine motor skills, behaviors, visual perceptual abilities and so on. The craziness of a new baby in the house and an active 3 year old has made me pretty much not aware of anything :) It wasn't until I was coloring with Sam that I couldn't believe his amazing fine motor skills. He has always excelled in puzzles and using his hands, but he has just recently begun really writing his letters. Observing his mature grasp of the crayon, his left "helper" hand engaged and his visual attention made me realize just how ready he is to write! I couldn't take my eyes off his amazing long eyelashes either :) Thank goodness for precursor writing skills