March 19, 2011

78/365: A super moon & a super Mimi













For the first time in 20 years, a super-moon was visible tonight. According to the US Naval Observatory, the moon must be full and passing through its closest approach to earth, known as the perigee, in its month-long, elliptical orbit for this to be seen. So I played around with some settings, increased the ISO to let the most light into the lens and changed my metering to "spot" so the camera would pick up on the one specific piece of light. I did my best and I am pretty happy it didn't turn out like just a white dot...happy to see the tree branches in front and it really looks like a moon! But today was also Mimi's birthday celebration and the kids had a blast at the Discovery Museum and a special birthday lunch to celebrate! Thank goodness for the super moon, but a BIG thank goodness for Super Mimi